Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October is Guinea Pig Month!

(That's just my own declaration!)

This month I'll be sharing some interesting and fun facts about my pets. Starting with ...their name!

Guinea pig is the common name for cavy. They originated in South America. These rodents have no visible tail, four toes on the front feet, and three toes on the back. They are neither from Guinea nor are they pigs. They are said to have gotten their name because they squeal and were sold by British sailors for a guinea, an Old English coin.

If they are properly cared for , they will live 5 to 7 years. I have had several live to that age. They are strictly herbivores. Plants only, please!

There are 11 recognized breeds of guinea pigs at this time which is the focus of today's post. Within each breed there are 23 varieties which include a number of colors and color patterns. Silkies have longer smooth coats, but the head and face are not covered like the Peruvians. Satins have a hollow hair shaft that gives the hair a nice sheen. Teddies have short wiry hair. Abyssinians have rosettes or tufts,and Americans have smooth short hair.

Here we go!









Teddy Satin




Silkie


Silkie Satin


White Crested





Peruvian



Peruvian Satin






American




American Satin




Abyssinian





Abyssinian Satin



And what have we here???

Ahoy Maties! Yo ho ho-be sure and stay tuned for next week's post about me cavy friends!

Ready for your quiz now??

Posted by Patty from CatCalls & Dogbarks

6 comments:

SassySashadoxie said...

Aww, love the piggies. Sasha and I still think the long haired ones look like hair pieces. heehee. I bet they get that a lot. :)

HappyDapperDogs said...

Wow, you really can teach an old dog! Enjoyed all the great info and cute pics!

Is that pirate CG?...What does CG stand for?...
Is there gonna be a Quiz? <:-B

makingstuffwithlove said...

That was a neat post! I know nothing about guinea pigs, so anything you can tell me will be news to me. I loved seeing all the different types! Who would have thought they'd have a different amount of toes on the front and back? Interesting! And of course, the little pirate is the cutest one of all :)

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

Love the pirate one. I also thought the long haired one looks like a hair piece.
I have had abasynian guinea pigs. As a matter of fact my Charlie looked just like that one in the picture, and I have had American.
Very cute pics. Thanks for sharing.

Brizel Handcrafts said...

Adorable... you aught to write an article about GB for the EFA blog sometime !

manav said...



Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again











Send Large Teddies