Sunday, January 6, 2013

Over The Counter Flea & Tick Products Can Kill


I just recently found out that over-the-counter flea and tick products can poison and kill our pets.  HartzVictims.org  was developed to provide answers and raise awareness of this and they urge everyone to help get these products off the shelves.  Before posting this, I did a little online research myself to make sure the allegations are accurate.  I googled "hartz flea poisoning"  and found several stories of people who have lost their pets due to these medicines.  I also found this on Hartz' very own website:

Precautionary Statements

HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS


CAUTION:
Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, or using tobacco.

First Aid

If Swallowed: Call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a Poison Control Center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

If On Skin Or Clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a Poison Control Center or doctor for treatment advice.

If In Eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. Call a Poison Control Center or doctor for treatment advice.

Have the product container or label with you when calling a Poison Control Center or doctor, or going for treatment.

Note to Physicians and Veterinarians:
This product contains an organophosphate and may cause cholinesterase inhibition. Cholinergic symptoms may include salivation, miosis, incoordination, muscle fasciculation and/or weakness, vomiting and diarrhea. Atropine is antidotal. 2-PAM may be effective as an adjunct to atropine. Call 1-800-275-1414 or your local Poison Control Center for further information.



These are the warnings and information for their flea collars.  Each product has different information, but none of it gives me confidence.  Please research for yourself and talk to your vet before using these products.  Promote these links to inform others.


2 comments:

Art and Sew Forth said...

So scary. With such warnings, I cannot imagine purchasing these in the first place. I am a label reader and always read everything and when the ingredients are so long or I cannot understand them, I put it right back on the shelf. So sad people can lose their pets by using something that is supposed to 'help' them.

silvahoney said...

i do hate fleas..that is why i always take a bath my dog and put some shampoo on it to prevent from any fleas..

pet urns pittsburgh