Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do Dogs and Cats Feel Stress? April is Stress Awareness Month


Some dogs are very in tune with their people. These dogs pick up on the stress levels of the humans around them and in turn feel that stress. So if you have one of these kinds of dogs, your stress from a bad day at the office might affect your dog as well.


So, how can we help our pets "de-stress"?


Dogs and cats seem to react best to classical music. Cats tend to relax in front of the speakers when classical music is playing. Dogs will actually bark less - especially when they listen to the music of Bach. Classical harp music has been shown to help alleviate stress in cats, dogs, chimpanzees and other animals.


In recent pet anxiety studies, house pets responded favorably to classical music under stress-inducing situations, often slipping into a very serene and peaceful state of mind after only a few minutes of listening. Certain instruments and sounds were more effective than others. There are now CD’s created especially for your pet. If you have a stressed out pet, these may be one way to help them relax.

 

Alice England

Makingstuffwithlove.etsy.com

3 comments:

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

I wonder what birds like. Sinbad used to love to dance to any type of Salsa music. Not sure that reduced stress, but it was sure cute. LOL
Great article Alice. It is good to know, esp when you do have a stressful situation.
I wonder if it would calm a frightened dog, a new rescue, etc.

Art and Sew Forth said...

That is SO awesome! I had no idea. I will have to check this out for my grand dog, Toby, who is getting more and more stressed out about things the older he gets.

HappyDapperDogs said...

Thanks for this informative blog. I too, am going to try it. My Boudy boy gets stressed when I sleep for too long and starts yipping (I call him my alarm clock)