Tuesday, June 28, 2011

STORY TIME TUESDAY

Once upon a time (10 years ago, LOL) my husband, fiancé at the time, decided he was OK with my getting another pet. We had a bird – a parrot named Sinbad, but I wanted something I could cuddle and love on.
My husband never had any type of pet before, ever, so a dog or a cat was just too much of a leap for him. So I thought, how about a rabbit. The lop-earred ones even resemble dogs a little, with the long ears hanging down; maybe a white one with spots.

There are several breeds of rabbits, ranging from the smallest, the Netherland dwarf, at approx 2 1/2 lbs:




to the largest, the Giant Flemmish, averaging 20 pounds:


There are several types of lop-earred rabbits. The smallest is the Holland Lop, which usually averages about 3½ - 4 pounds.





The American Fuzzy is the same size and shape only, well... fuzzier. Here is an example of a beautiful American Fuzzy:





Then there is the mini lop, which is a little larger.



The English Lop, which usually averages at 10 pounds or more, has 19" long ears!




And all the way up to the French lop, which usually weighs 12-14 lbs or more.But back to my story...

I decided the cute little Holland lop was best for me. We found some breeders in Pennsylvania to take a look. The first place we went to - Wow – it was huge; at least the size of a double garage with cages upon cages of rabbits, including just born tiny babies, a play area with exercise equipment, grooming area… It was pretty amazing.
Then we went to this other breeder/farm?? I found out they were bred for either pet or MEAT! He had just a few cages in his backyard.
He placed this young brown "tort colored" Holland lop in my arms, and the little guy looked up at me. There was no way I was leaving him there. We named him Cyrano.



Cyrano started out in a nice sized rabbit cage that we bought for him. But a few months later we got him a huge double decker condo. The upper floor was carpeted and that was his play area. Downstairs was vinyl flooring, with his kitchen on one side, and bathroom (litter box) on the other. But whenever I was home he also had the run of the house.



Here is an example of the condo we got for him:









OK, he did destroy a couple of rugs, and you really need to rabbit proof your house for exposed wires, etc, but he had such an adorable personality. He was very lovable, and so soft and loved to be brushed.



He was large for a Holland lop at 5 lbs!



We enjoyed 3 great years with this wonderful little guy.

Then he started to get a blockage in his urinary tract. The vet and I were trying to get this under control, but it was just too much for the little guy. I still miss him, but he was also responsible for the door that opened and let in two beautiful puppies – first Giupetto, then Gianna. (Another story for another time.)

I hope you enjoyed my story, and remember there are so many different pets to choose from, but the most important thing is that you do some research before-hand, so you choose the right pet for you and for your living arrangements.
Think about whether you will be able to devote the proper time and energy necessary for the pet you choose. Research the proper size cage or housing requirements, exercise, grooming needs, any special food, lighting or heat requirements, etc, before you start your search.
And enjoy a wonderful life with your new pet.



Diana



http://www.dianadesignsny.etsy.com/

http://www.stylindogsboutique.etsy.com/









8 comments:

Three Wishes Collective said...

Awww, Diana. that was a great story and very great information! I didn't know that you only had 3 years with him. He is just gorgeous!

SassySashadoxie said...

Diana. Love the bunny story. I always loved holding rabbits, but never got one. You are so right about knowing what you are getting into before you get a pet. So many people get a new puppy and work 10-14 hours a day where the puppy is left home alone. Puppies need socialization, training, time with people. All of which really can't be done in a crate alone 10-14 hours a day.

When I got Sasha, I was still working. I planned it so I got her during the summer break. It gave me almost 3 months to get the basics of training and socializing done before I had to go back to work. Then, she still had my mom to be with during most of the day.

Jenya said...

Diana~~I loved this story and the photos. I never knew there were so many different kinds of rabbits, and that they would be such nice house pets. Thanks for sharing this story!

Jenya

PaniEva said...

You all are so right about doing some research before choosing a pet. People often have a vision of a pet (be it a certain breed of dog, a rabbit, cat, anything) but very little knowledge. They see this beautiful or cuddly or cute pet, nice, clean and perfectly behaved and expect to have same thing. They don't even think that they have to put effort, work, time, patience (and a good dose of humor) to finally have a "perfect" pet. I could write a boook about it ;)
Great story, Diana, and cute pictures. You have to smile at this little guy with big ears :)

makingstuffwithlove said...

I LOVED this!! All those sweet little bunnies and Cyrano was so pretty :) What a nice story -- I love rabbits. I'm sorry too that you didn't have a much longer time with him. Thanks for sharing -- I could listen to pet stories all day :)

Heidi E. Carpenter said...

Great story and I totally agree that one should research any animal before getting it, even if it's something as common as a cat or dog.

Art and Sew Forth said...

Awww...what a sweetheart. My daughter had a mini lop for a few years. Such a sweet pet. So glad you got him from that farm, too! Who knows what he could have ended up as! Great story!

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

Thank you all for all of your nice comments.
Sassy, I also timed when I got a new bird with my time off from work. It takes a lot of one on one time, esp in the beginning, to gain that trust and create that bond.