Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Clean House

I don't know if any of you remember the show, Clean House, on TLC. It was the original decluttering and organizing shows. It was very eye opening to me and I never thought I could be a candidate for the show. Now I am not quite to the point of Hoarders but I was on my way if I didn't stop.

A little background - I used to share a 2500 square foot house and space was never a problem. I joined Etsy to sew up some of my fabric but realized that to really make a business, I would need more and newer fabrics. Thus began a lot of forays into ebay, etsy, fabric stores online, brick and mortar -- you get the idea. Well the day came to move out of the big house and I downsized to renting a room and everything had to go into storage. That was a chore.

The final move came to a cozy little one bedroom a bit out in the country and room for my dogs to roam. Oh yeah, cozy means small, 560 square feet small! I moved in waves and kept finding that I had too much stuff. I thought about another storage unit but seemed to defeat the purpose.

I have been destashing and destashing; selling at a community garage sale, etc. It almost seems overwhelming! Every time I destash, I have seller's remorse. The first time it lasted for days; now I keep going through things to see what I can destash. While doing some of this destashing, I bought more Christmas fabric - hangs my head in shame!

I remember Peter from Clean House talking that if you have something you cherish or if it evokes a special meaning, it does not belong in a box someplace. It belongs framed or showcased. You don't have to hold onto everything as the memories will always be there. This has stood out in my mind for many years and now I am trying to emulate it.

Yes I still have more to go but I will get there. A cleaner, neater and organized home is my goal. Destash and be free!


AnnieKDesigns.etsy.com

10 comments:

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

Wonderful post Annie. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

Three Wishes Collective said...

Very inspiring and motivational post, Annie. Thank you. I use to watch that show all the time. Was thinking also of some things that I want to hold on to can be scanned into the computer and let the original go - especially for paper items.

L. Carol Christopher said...

Go, Annie!

Bella said...

Well done! So, are you rewarding yourself along the way? Like with a new piece of fabric? ;) Seriously, you'll feel so much better when it's all done.

julie cavender said...

Good for you! Did you find things you forgot you had? It makes me feel free when I organize and get rid of stuff.

Scrappy Angel said...

Sounds like you are getting to go off leash! Keep it up:) Everytime you bring in something new, something ELSE has to go out! Great work!

HappyDapperDogs said...

What an inspiring post! I wonder why it is sometimes, I have spent half my lifetme collecting all this stuff and now that I've past that halfway mark I'm thinking of letting things go?

Pauline said...

Very inspiring indeed....I've kept so many items for my kids thinking they'd use them in their many homes.....but they're still here - the items I mean. I've tried to give them to them but no they have their own style...not mine. lol

And thought that at least one of them would be a sewer like me....not :( so disappointed but maybe when they retire and I'm gone they'll reap all my machines and fabric and everything else.....maybe.......can't think about that one.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that show! Hasnt been on for a while though. Chad & I used to watch reruns especially on the weekends. When I moved out of my parents and with Chad, I had to let go of a lot of things. Downsized it to having only one container in my parents attic with some of my favorite stuffed animals. Its hard to let go of things sometimes...Chad is the biggest pack rat I know LOL & I know all about the destashing & feeling guilty. I started BeadieandThings to get rid of the "way too many" supplies I bought for beading.

PeggySue said...

I know the destash remorse feeling well! But I also appreciate the great feeling when it feels more manageable, good luck! You are inspiring me to do some organizing!