Thursday, October 27, 2011

Autumn Safety Tips

Fall is upon us. It is time to change the antifreeze, wage war on field mice in search of warm quarters, stock up on Halloween candy, and plan the Thanksgiving menu.

There are several autumn hazards to pets, some potentially fatal. Knowing what these hazards are and taking simple precautions will keep your pet healthy through the coming months.

Antifreeze: Most radiator antifreeze/coolant contains ethylene glycol and is highly toxic. It has a sweet taste and is readily consumed by children and animals. If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze, call your veterinarian right away.

Rodenticides: Rodenticides that kill the rodents hoping to winter in your house will also kill your pet. They cause severe bleeding, kidney failure, and death. There are no safe rodenticides. Whether out of hunger, boredom, or curiosity, pets will consume these products. In case of poisoning, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Thanksgiving dinner: Holiday meals can also cause medical emergencies for pets. Chicken and turkey bones can get stuck or can pierce holes in any portion of the digestive tract. Rich foods can cause sudden pancreatitis or bloat. Keep holiday meals, leftovers, and table scraps out of reach of your pet.

It is a busy time of year, with guests coming and going, decorations going up and down. Keep novel small items out of reach of your pet. Dogs and cats, especially puppies and kittens, will eat anything. Non-food items lodged in your pet's digestive tract is yet another emergency condition. Don't let curiosity kill your cat or your dog.

It's back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on fun items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. These items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, which means they're unlikely to cause serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, since gastrointestinal upset and blockages certainly are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw's reach.

Help keep this beautiful season safe for your pets!

Alice England
makingstuffwithlove.etsy.com

1 comment:

PetsJubilee said...

Really helpful information. I know Velvet first two Christmas', she would eat bows off of presents, and chew on the lower ornaments, so we had to keep making adjustments.