Friday, February 17, 2012

BFFs


When the internet first starting really catching on, critics complained that it isolated us. Instead of being out in the world meeting and interacting with real people, we were inside, holed up in front of a small screen, chatting with people who may or may not be whom they pretended to be; that it was an artificial existence. Later, when social media hit the www, skeptics were uncomfortable; you're putting too much of yourself out there for all the world to see. We share too much with total strangers. This is true, but I'm so thankful for it.

In 2008, I joined a wonderful community of artisans on Etsy. The people I met in those chat rooms and forums were all very wonderful, helpful, passionate people and I quickly became "friends" with some of them. I joined teams and made more friends. But, in 2009, I started my own team. A group of people who love and make things for pets. If you're a pet person, you know how easy it is to carry on a conversation with a total stranger as long as you're talking about your furbaby. A lot of people joined our team. Some come and go; some have moved on to other things and we miss them, but the core group; the incredible people who drop by our forum every single day and share their lives and their experiences, their good times and the bad ones, those people have become my very best friends. I do not know what I would do without them. They have gotten me through the toughest period of my life and continue to love and support me as I enter a new phase. I am so very thankful for all of them.
This past Tuesday, was, for most everyone, Valentine's Day. For me, it was the first anniversary of my husband's passing. I woke up crying that morning and really didn't stop until mid-afternoon when I think I just ran out of tears. It was an incredibly sad day. When my daughter came home from work, she presented me with a box that turned my whole day around. My dear, wonderful, thoughtful friends from my team, had all sent in gifts to one member who packaged the whole thing together and sent it to my daughter to give to me on Valentine's Day. These women & men, whom I've never met in person, are more than my very best friends. They are my family. To do such a wonderful thing for me; I was just speechless. No amount of words or thank you's seem to properly describe how I felt opening all of those gifts. I feel so blessed to know these people; and I thank God for bringing us all together.

This is a picture of all of the treasures I received:


Patty (Catcalls/DogBarks/thecatrack/mewmart) sent a mini doxie. Velvet assumed it was hers, she reached out to grab it with her teeth, but I stopped her, lol. She was in amongst everything the whole time. Just like a little kid, lol. I also want to thank Patty for putting the whole box together and shipping it to my daughter. Thank you!
Sue (Frumsglassmenagerie) sent a travel bag.
K (kceknits) sent a heart pin.
Kelly sent an angel and a magnet with a saying on it.
Janice (Dogsrule) sent origami hearts, a card with a saying on it, a small round piece of glass art and teeny tiny hearts.
Athena (SassySashadoxie) sent a book called "Bad Dog", and ACEO of Velvet, bookmarks and magnets featuring both Velvet and Sasha.
Pauline (Paulinesfashions) sent a book "Daily Wisdom to Satisfy the Soul".
Alice (MakingStuffwithLove/GrandmasBliss) sent a felted Velvet and a bag/sachet of really good smelling stuff that drove Velvet crazy. Both were in handmade bags.
Diana (DianaDesignsNY / StylinDogsBoutique) sent a Dog calendar and felt hearts.
John (TheHubbyShop) sent a scrabble pendant necklace with a picture of a beagle on it.
In addition to all of this wonderful treasure were cards full of love, support and encouragement.

To see all of the individual items, visit my flickr page.

Thank you so very much!

All my love,
Shari


4 comments:

Art and Sew Forth said...

It IS an incredibly unique family that only God could have orchestrated. Love is not limited to face to face...we have proven that over and over. Thanks for sharing so beautifully how we all feel about our awesome PetsJubilee family!

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

It was certainly in God's hands that put us all together here for a reason.
I am in tears as I read this Shari. The way it was written, and how true it all is.
Thank you for starting this team, and all that you do.
We love you, as we all seem to love each of us on here.
I do not know what I would do without you, my friends.

SassySashadoxie said...

Yes, I would say this team was heaven sent for sure. I think we all have had moments where we each needed a pick me up from our fellow PJ's. We have shared so much over the last few years. Awesome blog today Shari. We are all one family on here. United by crafting and the love of animals.

Sasha and I say we love you all, too.

Carole said...

What a wonderful surprise. Enjoy!