Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Because of You, Unknown Soldier
By Courtney Tanabe


Because of you, I am here
Because of you, I am able to live freely

Yet I do not know you
And I have not done anything for you

But there you stand, ready to fight
And there you are prepared to die
For me

You've fought before
And you'll fight again
For someone you don't know

So thank you Unknown Soldier
Fighting for me

I'm here because of you
And I owe my future to you


Veteran's Day is Friday, November 11th. It is often overlooked. But what if there were no Veteran's Day? What if no one thought that the freedoms our country was founded on were worth a life?  Is our country worth you giving up your life? Really. Could you? Would you? Maybe for your family. Maybe for your friends. But what about people you don't even know or people you don't like? Thank God that many someones have thought that Freedom was worth it. The greatest way to say thank you to these who have died is to live a life full of  personal sacrifice for the good of others. To get outside of ourselves long enough to make someone else's life better. I wonder what our country would be like if we all did this on a daily basis! Let's live lives of appreciation this Veteran's Day, this month, this year... by doing something sacrificial. It will make us great. And if enough of us do so, it will make our nation great, too. 



by Patty

4 comments:

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

Beautifully beautifully said. Perfect timing. Some of us, my self included, sometimes forget what this day really means and represents. Perhaps it is just a day off for some. But it is so much more.
Thank you for reminding us.

And thanks for covering for me.

Pauline said...

Such a heartfelt write-up - I found myself praying for all those soldiers who are out there fighting for our countries...Yes, Canada celebrates 'Remembrance Day' -on the same day. We are also remembering the many lives lost so we can have freedom.

Thanks, Patty for bringing us down to what is important in life...being grateful, loving and remembering those who have gone there and done that for us.....

Happy Veterans Day to all the Americans.

Happpy Remembrance Day to all the Canadians.

HappyDapperDogs said...

May God Bless all of our troops and bring them safely home!
I am so grateful for those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Thank you, to those who have served and those who are still serving, fighting and in harms way everyday.
Happy Veterans Day to all the Americans & Happy Remembrance Day to all the Canadians.

AnnieKDesigns said...

Very important to remember Veteran's Day and it's true meaning and not another sale!