Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sugarless Gum May be Good for us Humans, but Deadly for Dogs

A friend of a friend recently had to put their 18-month old Golden Retriever down. What would fell an energetic and young dog? Sugarless gum. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetner in mints, chewable vitamins, cookies and candy.


When the dog eats this sugar substitute, the body releases insulin. It is followed by a decrease in the natural glucose, or sugar, in the blood, which will cause hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar is what causes the fatigue and confusion, even seizures. Many other problems can cause these symptoms. All are serious and need medical attention.


In high doses, it can also cause liver damage. Liver tissue will actually start to die. In extreme cases it causes problems with the blood-clotting mechanism of the body, and that means the dog can bleed out. Unfortunately, not all dogs that suffer from acute liver failure will show any signs of illness. Or they appear sick, and then get better. Even if the pet appears fine, if they did ingest xylitol, they need to be seen immediately for treatment.

3 comments:

PetsJubilee said...

Wow - I had no idea. My boss' dog use to get my old chewed gum out of the trash. I'll be more careful with it now.

Art and Sew Forth said...

Things I would never think of! That's so sad to have that happen just because of ignorance.

Giupetto and Gianna Tails said...

It is so good to be made aware of all of this. It reminds you to be more carefull and how serious a small thing can be.
Thanks Annie